Ontario’s Business Corporation Act and the Canada Business Corporation Act govern all private and public corporations doing business in Ontario. These laws require that every corporation adhere to basic standards of documentation, business procedure and public record filings. If you do not follow the rules, you and your business run a number of risks in areas such as taxation, your personal liability for debts of your business, and eventually the sale of your business.
As your lawyer, I can handle all of the corporate record-keeping required of your business, which includes:
- The initial organizational requirements immediately after incorporation
- Routine annual directors’ and shareholders’ resolutions
- Maintaining director, officer and shareholder records
- Preparing shareholders’ agreements if necessary
- Storing irreplaceable minute books, share certificates, shareholder agreements, promissory notes and other negotiable instruments, and other important business records